In 1756 when construction of an ironworks began to be planned, there were only 5 farms, but as the construction continued the population increased. In 1797 there were 45 households with 200 people.
The mills preacher Johan Widestedt began to conduct individual teaching in addition to his ministry. You can therefore call him the first schoolmaster of the mill. Then came the tailor Olof Edström who became the new schoolmaster. Individual teaching was also conducted by widow Östergren in Sikeå.
Other self-taught teachers in the early 19th century can be mentioned Johan Fredrik Flodin (1829) and J Westerberg (1836). In England, the children of the growing workforce had to be taken care of and this led to the so-called Bell-Lancaster method or exchange teaching. This method meant that the older students were allowed to participate in the teaching. They felt that they could not employ enough ordinary teachers for general public education. This also went home here in Sweden. In 1829 O F Genberg learned the new way of learning at a school in Härnösand. He then trained an assistant, Kajsa Magdalena Hammarstedt, in ”the way of learning and the supervision of the school”.
A few tables of larger and smaller kind were provided. The facility was then left to itself, but it did not lack the vitality for the year 1841 when the management team took charge of it, the teaching was conducted both at the mills barn and at Genberg’s home. In 1842, the municipality’s compulsory primary school was added to the church village in Bygdeå. But the Lancaster School was maintained thanks to the support of the management.
After Rosenius’s departure in 1864, they had to hire special teachers – often unexamined. Even in the 1870s, the reading days were about 100 and the days you went were irregular. In 1887, teaching at the school was taken over by the municipality and a special small school was introduced. The kindergarten got its own building, the current so-called old school or Norrgården. It was not until 1905 that the municipality built a huge schoolhouse by the time, which in the autumn of 1947 was replaced by an even larger and more modern schoolhouse in brick. There were, among other things, school kitchens and a school bath was planned in the future building for gymnastic education.