Closed for Winter
One of the first improvements planned by the mill owners was the construction of a railway between Robertsfors and Sikeå.
Sjöström let the well-known railway builder, the parliamentarian and the writer Claes Adolf Adelsköld make preparatory investigations in 1857. On March 16, 1860, the railway was granted permission. Petersen let the building wait for a while because he wanted to get some strong company abroad.
In the meantime, he found in England the newly invented country road locomotive, but this steam horse was neither or could be useful on Swedish country roads. It was then decided that only one tramway for live tractors would be built. Only during the latter half of the 1870s did work begin. The technical leader for the railway construction was the mountain notary G O Tundal and supervisor Hans Dillström.
This locomotive was named “Starkotter” and became Sweden’s third electric locomotive. In the end, there were 7 electric locomotives and 245 freight wagons in traffic.
The electric power and 700 volts direct current were supplied from the mill’s power station. The gauge was 750mm, the minimum curve radius 210m and the maximum pitch was 1: 100. At that time, the railway was the world’s northernmost railway. This was also Västerbotten’s oldest railway and was closed down in 1961.
All electric locomotives remain in the museums inventory, sadly the steam locomotive Charles was scrapped after being sold.
Some passenger traffic has occured on the railway, after an accident no more passenger trains where run.
3 locomotives are still functional: Ettan, Femman and Starkotter.
The train set currently consists of:
- A Passenger Carriage
- Custom Built Generator
A model of the railway is on display in the Locomotive Shed